I know this is a time of great uncertainty. It’s easier said than done, but please don’t let fear take over. I find it helps not to watch the news too much.
Facts about COVID-19:
- COVID-19 stands for Coronavirus Disease 2019 which is a new type of coronavirus never seen in humans before and originating from Wuhan China
- The virus spreads from person to person through infected respiratory droplets through coughing or sneezing within 6 feet of each other. Also, the virus can live on surfaces for up to 3 days.
- In Canada as of now, 29% of cases are in 60 year olds and older; 12% of cases have been hospitalized, 1 person has died, 79% of cases are travellers
- Masks are only for those that have an upper respiratory infection so they don’t spread their droplets to others
- At this time, the Public Health Agency of Canada has assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low for the general population in Canada but this could change rapidly. There is an increased risk of more severe outcomes for Canadians:
- aged 65 and over
- with compromised immune systems
- with underlying medical conditions
What we can do:
- Wash your hands with vigorous scrubbing of soap for at least 20 seconds; wash your hands frequently especially after being out, sneezing or coughing
- Do not touch your face so to avoid the virus from entering your airway
- Get fresh air, exercise and avoid crowds
- Quarantine yourself for 2 weeks if you’ve been on a plane or in contact with anyone that has flu like symptoms
- Strengthen your immune system:
- Eat lots of vegetables and fruit; avoid sugar! 1 tsp of sugar suppresses the immune system for 1 hour
- Don’t stress – fear and anxiety weakens the immune system. Listen to nice music while you are staying home
- Get lots of sleep – this strengthens your immune system
- Avoid foods you are sensitive to – ask your naturopathic doctor for testing
- Get your vitamin D levels checked and supplement accordingly – consult a naturopathic doctor
- Vitamin C, vitamin A, zinc, elderberry, quercetin, probiotics, mushrooms, licorice root, echinacea all help combat pathogens and can strengthen the immune system --- consult a naturopathic doctor for recommendations on dosages and to make sure it’s right for you
- Things to have at home for a 2 week supply:
- Prescription medications
- Soap and toiletries – but don’t hoard!
- Lots of organic frozen fruit and vegetables (ideally a medley)
- Option to have some frozen meat and fish – organic, wild, grass-fed…
- Canned beans, soups (I like the organic lentil canned soups), sardines, dried mushrooms, rice, pasta, pasta sauce
- Make your own surface disinfectant (purchase alcohol from the LCBO that has more than 70% alcohol and just add some essential oils) https://wholefully.com/homemade-hand-sanitizer/
Please consult your naturopathic doctor for more specific recommendations and to make sure this is right for you.
Read this article for more in-depth information: http://www.noumena.ca/a-few-tips-on-minimizing-the-risks-of-covid19-corona-virus-infection/